Dogs have taken over as the most popular pet in the US. Some folks prefer the smallest of these companions, such as a toy Chihuahua, while others prefer big dogs such as the Great Dane. Some people prefer cuddly family dogs, while others choose a more protective companion.
Whatever your preference in size and temperament, dogs are endearing, surprising, and loyal creatures that have captured the hearts of people across the globe, as well as in America.
In recent years CBD hemp extract has emerged as a growing trend with potential for many different use cases for both humans and animals. As a responsible pet owner, you may be wondering how cannabidiol (CBD) might help your dog, as well as what studies have been conducted around the subject.
This blog will go over some of the basics of CBD Hemp Oil for dogs, possible use cases, dosing recommendations, as well as some of the current research around CBD and dogs. Read on to learn more!
Why use CBD Hemp Oil for Dogs?>
There are many reasons why people look for CBD for their dogs. Some of the most common reasons people are searching for CBD regarding their dogs include:
- Soothing dogs during travel
- Help with Separation Anxiety
- Pain from aging, Arthritis, and other conditions
- Appetite and Nausea
- Seizures related to Epilepsy
Although research is in the early stages around CBD and dogs, owners have anecdotally reported that they have safely administered CBD Hemp Oil to their dog for many different concerns. Below, we will go over a few studies around CBD and dogs that show promise for the future.
CBD Hemp Oil and Dog Studies
- In 2020, a preliminary investigation was published on the safety of escalating cannabinoid doses in healthy dogs. The study was randomized, placebo-controlled, and blinded, and included twenty healthy beagle dogs. Ten amounts of escalating cannabinoids were administered to the dogs, including CBD and THC. The study’s conclusion found that only mild side effects were associated with escalating CBD doses, even up to the final amount of 62 mg per kilogram of body weight. The research also found that “a CBD-predominant oil formulation was safer and more tolerated in dogs than oil formulations containing higher concentrations of THC.”
- In 2019, a study was published on CBD and Intractable Idiopathic Epilepsy in dogs by Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. “Intractable” in this case means that the Epilepsy in the dogs included was resistant to traditional treatment options. CBD Oil was administered to the dogs receiving treatment for twelve weeks. The study “found that 89 percent of dogs who received CBD in the clinical trial had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.” Although this is a preliminary study, it shows promise for treatment in future veterinary care.
- In 2018, a study was published around the safety and clinical efficacy of cannabidiol treatment in osteoarthritic dogs. The study was randomized, placebo-controlled, as well as veterinarian and owner blinded. The dogs treated were administered 2 to 8 mg of CBD hemp oil per kilogram of body weight over four weeks. The study found no observable side-effects, as well as “a significant decrease in pain and increase in activity.” The research also suggests that ”2 mg/kg of CBD twice daily can help increase comfort and activity in dogs with OA.”
CBD Dosing Guide for Dogs
To begin administering Strength of Hope CBD Pet Oil to your dog, make sure to shake the tincture before each use. You can choose from administering the tincture directly by mouth or mixing it into your dog’s favorite food. We recommend starting with the smallest possible dose per ten pounds of weight and adjust as necessary. Amounts may vary for each dog.
Wait several hours to determine the effects of Pet CBD Oil before increasing your dog’s dose of CBD. For further information on how to properly dose CBD for your dog, visit our Pet Hemp Oil page, and check out the usage tab for more specific information.
If you have any health concerns with your dog, including changes in temperament, mobility, or otherwise, make sure to contact your vet to create a plan for your pet’s best health. Though CBD shows promise for many use cases in humans and animals, research around hemp extract and animals is still in the early stages, so remember that CBD is not intended to treat or cure any disease in animals.
It’s also helpful to keep in mind that vets cannot currently prescribe or recommend CBD for dogs because more research is needed in this area. Once you have checked in with your vet to assure your dog’s health and treatment options, you might consider adding CBD to your dog’s self-care routine.
Is CBD Safe for Dogs?
Overall, CBD appears to be safe for dogs. In many recently published studies, only mild to no side effects have been reported in connection to CBD and dogs.
Research is currently still needed around the long-term side effects of cannabidiol in both humans and animals. Overall, CBD appears to be a relatively safe and useful tool when purchased from reputable companies, used correctly, and in conjunction with regular veterinary care.
Strength of Hope Hemp Oil for Dogs
At Strength of Hope, our CBD-rich Pet Oil Tincture for dogs and cats is made with just a few simple ingredients for your peace of mind. The ingredients in our Pet Oil include premium CBD hemp extract, MCT coconut oil, and vanilla/stevia flavoring.
Our tincture is simple to mix into food or administer to your dog by mouth and deliver a measured dose of hemp-derived CBD without the THC. Each one-ounce bottle of CBD Hemp Oil comes with either 250 mg or 500 mg CBD. You might try the 250 mg bottle for a smaller dog or our more potent 500 mg CBD tincture for a larger dog.
Consider adding our quality Hemp Oil to your dog’s self-care routine in combination with a healthy diet and regular vet care.
One issue many don’t think about with a lot of CBD pet products available on the market is THC content. Even the legal limit of 0.3% THC may affect your dog or produce undesirable results. When choosing a CBD product, always look into the third-party testing results to double-check ingredients, potency, and whether or not THC is included to protect your pet.
For your peace of mind, Strength of Hope has ensured that our CBD Pet Oil Tincture is 100% THC-free. We also do third-party testing on each of our products, including our CBD Pet Oil, to ensure safety and potency. Don’t take our word for it, though! Our test results are available at the bottom of each product page.
Questions about CBD and Pets
If you are curious to learn more about cannabidiol (CBD), as well as CBD and pets, our “Learn” tab is a great place to start. You might begin with a brief introduction to Hemp and CBD. You can also check out this blog if you are looking for more information about CBD Hemp Oil and cats.
If you are looking for more information about our Pet Oil and common canine health conditions, read this detailed blog. If you still have questions, we’d like to help. Drop us a line on Facebook, or visit our support page to contact us about your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you.